The Scholars Program is for medical student and resident (PGY 1-3) trainees interested in the prospect of pursuing Geriatric Psychiatry fellowship. The program provides a comprehensive and engaging platform to learn more about our field through small group sessions, interactive speed career sessions and inspirational speakers. Additionally, the Scholars program offers mentorship, career development and professional growth in an engaging, warm and collegial environment. The opportunity to network, participate actively in AAGP committees and caucuses and attend nationally renowned educational sessions is unprecedented and only available through this program.
- $500 to defray the cost of travel to the annual meeting
- 3 night stay at onsite meeting hotel
- Scholars program includes a full day of programming specific to trainees, a mentor-mentee luncheon, and opportunities to meet program directors and attend AAGP committees/caucuses, as well as general sessions
- Each Scholar is paired with an AAGP mentor based on career preference and supervised on the completion of a scholarly project
By accepting the scholarship, Scholars agree to complete the following requirements:
- Full participation in the 2024 AAGP Scholars Program at the 2024 AAGP Annual Meeting
- Completion of a scholarly project related to geriatric psychiatry over the course of the year (required for psychiatry residents, encouraged for medical students)
- Have not completed the AAGP Scholars Program at this stage in their career. (i.e. A medical student can apply again as a resident. A resident may not complete the program more than once during their residency.)
Application packets should include the
- Application form
- Applicant’s C.V.
- Letter of intent and interest from the resident or medical student
- Bio Sketch (200 words describing your training and accomplishments to be shared with your scholarship donor)
- Letter of recommendation from a psychiatry or geriatric psychiatry faculty member at your institution
Join AAGP's mentoring network and help influence the next generation of geriatric psychiatrists through AAGP’s Scholars Program. Trainees who are looking for mentors will be matched with those in our mentoring network based upon geographic location and areas of interest. Please provide as much information about yourself as possible in order to help us find the best match for interested trainees.
AAGP is working to grow the next generation of geriatric psychiatrists and we need your help. With your generous support, we can continue to grow this scholarship program and enhance the education of these world-class trainees and future leaders in the field.
Thank you to the 2024 Scholars Donors who have already donated to the program this year! We appreciate your generosity and commitment.
“I have benefited both as a Scholar and as a mentor, and my continued participation over the years is a highlight of my membership in AAGP. This unique program provides world class mentoring, career guidance, opportunities for networking and professional growth, and friendship.”
- Jordan F. Karp, MD, Professor and Chair,
University of Arizona Department of Psychiatry
Find a Mentor
Are you an AAGP member and interested in finding a geriatric psychiatry mentor? Provide your information here, and AAGP will strive to match you with an individual in our mentoring network based upon geographic location and areas of interest. Please provide details in order to help AAGP find the best match for you.