Our 2022 AAGP Scholars Program will be in person on March 19, 2022!
Chair: Kristina Zdanys, MD
Vice Chair: Chadrick Lane, MD
"I applied to the AAGP Scholars Program to explore the field of geriatric psychiatry and solidify my decision to pursue a career in geriatric mental health. The mentorship and career development opportunities surpassed my expectations especially given the challenges and travel restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. During fellowship interviews the Scholars Program was frequently a topic of discussion and emphasizing the prestigious and competitive nature of the Honors Scholarship. I'm most appreciative for the networking opportunities and enthusiastically encourage others interested to apply!” - Anna Garcia, 2020 PGY-3 Scholar, University of New Mexico
2021 Scholars Program Participants
As our population ages, there is a growing need for specialists in the care of older adults. This is especially true in the field of older adult mental health! To meet this need, the AAGP Scholars Program was established to introduce the incredibly rewarding field of Geriatric Psychiatry to trainees. We invite PGY 1-3 U.S. psychiatry residents and PGY 1-4 Canadian psychiatry residents to apply to our Honors Scholars Program. We also have a General Scholars Program for interested medical students at accredited U.S. and Canadian medical schools. It’s never too early to check out our field, and many geriatric psychiatrists attribute their career decision to exposure to older adult mental health in medical school (or earlier)!
Scholarships will be granted to the most highly qualified applicants as determined by the selection committee. While those who have been selected as Honors Scholars in previous years are not eligible to reapply, former General Scholars can apply for an Honors scholarship.
We encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, persons who are differently abled, persons from disadvantaged backgrounds, protected veterans, and anyone who identifies as an underrepresented minority.
- Participation in the AAGP Scholars Program, to be held during the AAGP Annual Meeting on Saturday, March 19th, 2022
- Financial support to subsidize attending the 2022 AAGP Annual Meeting, including free registration to all other annual meeting activities
- 1-year AAGP membership, including subscription to AJGP
- Free registration to the 2023 AAGP annual meeting
- Pairing with a geriatric psychiatrist/AAGP member mentor to provide career-related advice and supervise the completion of a scholarly project related to geriatric psychiatry (Honors Scholars)
By accepting the scholarship, Scholars agree to complete the following requirements:
- Full participation in the 2022 AAGP Scholars Program on March 19th, 2022
- Completion of a scholarly project related to geriatric psychiatry over the course of the year (required for psychiatry residents, encouraged for medical students)
2022 AAGP Scholars Conference Agenda (subject to change closer to meeting date)
- Connecting with the AAGP leadership, including the AAGP President and Chair of the AAGP Teaching and Training Committee
- Hot topics in Geriatric Psychiatry, Why Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship, Applying to Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Nuts & Bolts, and others
- Small group breakout sessions to discover the diversity of career options within geriatric psychiatry, share your experiences with other Scholars, and learn next steps for your training level
- Inspirational scholarly project presentations by Alumni of the Scholars Program
Procedures for Application
Application packets should include the following documents:
- Application form
- Applicant’s C.V.
- Letter of intent and interest from the resident or medical student
- Bio Sketch (200 words describing your training and accomplishments to be shared with your scholarship donor)
- Letter of recommendation from a psychiatry or geriatric psychiatry faculty member at your institution
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
The program participants will be announced in January 2022.
For additional information, please phone or email AAGP at 703-556-9222; email@example.com
“The Scholars Program is great for trainees interested in pursuing fellowship in Geriatric Psychiatry because it provides a comprehensive and engaging platform for trainees to learn about the various facets of Geriatric Psychiatry, gain exposure to programs from around the country, and discover the diversity of career options in this field. The warmly collegial atmosphere and the creative intellectually stimulating programming geared towards trainees makes the Scholars Program unique and a must-attend for any trainee interested in Geriatric Psychiatry.”— Shilpa Srinivasan, Program Director, Prisma Health / University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia Program
“The Scholars program offers mentorship, career development and opportunities for professional growth in one of the most collegial atmospheres ever created. The opportunity to network and meet professionals from all areas of geriatric practice is truly unprecedented and only available through this program.”— Dr. Melinda Lantz, Program Director, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship
“I have benefited both as a Scholar and as a mentor, and my continued participation over the years is a highlight of my membership in AAGP. This unique program provides world class mentoring, career guidance, opportunities for networking and professional growth, and friendship.” - Jordan F. Karp, MD, Professor and Chair, University of Arizona Department of Psychiatry