Director, Center for Brain Health & Associate Professor or Professor of IMSD - Florida Atlantic University
Director, Center for Brain Health & Associate Professor or Professor of IMSD
The Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University (FAU), is seeking a world class clinician scientist to develop an academically oriented program aimed at reducing the toll of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and related dementias in Florida and beyond. The ideal clinician scientist will be a national leader in deep phenotyping and deploying personalized approaches for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the full spectrum of dementias.
Operating within an integrated health practice model, this renowned clinician scientist will build and shape a comprehensive program in brain health. FAU and the surrounding community of Boca Raton, FL, provide an ideal setting for building a robust academic clinical practice for personalized prevention and treatment for patients with Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia, and other dementias. Collaborative opportunities abound for advancing clinical, research, and educational activities through partnerships with FAU centers and institutes, including the Louis and Anne Green Memory and Wellness Center, a dementia specific program providing supportive services to ~4,500 unique patients annually, and the Brain Institute, a university research pillar dedicated to the advancement of neuroscience research, education, and community outreach. Additional outstanding clinical and research partnerships are available through the Marcus Neuroscience Institute at Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Scripps Research Institute Florida, and the Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience.
Supporting the launch of this innovative program in brain health, the Schmidt College of Medicine is dedicating sufficient space for both clinical and research activities, including a contemporary clinical practice setting and access to state-of-the-art equipment for deep phenotyping. Additionally, generous funding from the Harry T. Mangurian Jr. Foundation is available to support the launch of research activities of a clinician scientist who is strongly committed to leading a collaborative effort spanning the bedside-to-bench continuum.
About the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
The Schmidt College of Medicine is affiliated with Florida Atlantic University, a culturally diverse and dynamic public research university located in southeast Florida at the gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. FAU provides abundant opportunities to build collaborations in inter-professional healthcare practice, leadership, education, and research with other colleges, and with state-of-the-art, campus-wide research institutes. Launched in 2019, FAU Medicine serves as an umbrella for the college’s growing clinical practices, which currently include: 1) FAU Medicine Primary Care, a faculty practice that provides personalized patient care while integrating patient-centered discovery and education; 2) FAU Integrative Health Practice, a faculty practice supported by the Marcus Foundation to provide integrative health and wellness programming; and 3) FAU Resident Clinic at Boca Raton General Hospital, a resident-directed primary care practice that provides care for under-served patients in a community-based setting. The College also features significant translational research with a strong emphasis in neuroscience.
- Board-certified neurologist, psychiatrist or neuropsychologist with expertise in Alzheimer’s disease, and/or Lewy body dementia, and other dementias
- Academic credentials from an accredited institution that merit appointment at associate or full professor in the College of Medicine by the time of application
- Distinguished record in clinical translational research, and education
- Proven record of broad, progressive and substantive administrative leadership
- Experience in clinical trials research
- Experience in building diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Innovative program development leadership from a start-up phase
- Strong track record in external funding and program or center leadership, with active foundation, state, and/or federal research grant funding, in the areas of Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia, or other dementias
- Knowledge of trends and issues in integrative health with respect to the prevention and treatment of dementias
- Ability to engage with community and establish effective partnerships in an academic environment
- Rigorous with data and metrics
- Outstanding communication skills
- Budgetary and financial management skills
- Ability to build and sustain effective teams, including inter-professional and interdisciplinary
- Management skills that include collegiality and respect
- Excellence in problem solving
- Outstanding communication skills, including effective communication in a culturally and ethnically diverse community
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion as a means of achieving institutional excellence
- Ability to communicate effectively in a culturally and ethnically diverse community
- Emotional intelligence
- Divergent thinking
- Effective decision maker
- Commitment to excellence in clinical practice, teaching, research, and community engagement/service
- Capacity to advance strategic initiatives and achieve targeted goals
- Commitment to building and bridging partnership
All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position (Director, Center for Brain Health & Associate Professor or Professor of Integrated Medical Science) on the Office of Human Resources’ job website (https://fau.edu/jobs) by completing the required online employment application and submitting the related documents. When completing the online application, please upload the following: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and copies of official transcripts scanned into an electronic format.
Any confidential letters of recommendation/references may be sent to Sara Greene, email@example.com.
A background check will be required for the candidate selected for this position. This position is subject to funding.
For more information and to apply, visit www.fau.edu/jobs and go to Apply Now (REQ08851).
Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or other protected status. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711.
FAU is committed to the principles of engaged teaching, research and service. All persons aspiring to achieve excellence in the practice of these principles are encouraged to apply.