Attend AAGP's 2017 Annual Meeting
AAGP is excited to announce the theme of the 2018 AAGP Annual Meeting will be "Diversity & Inclusivity: Achieving Excellence in Geriatric Mental Health." We are making great strides in our understanding of the brain, its mechanisms, and pathologies. Breakthroughs are being made in our understanding of both normal and pathologic aging as well as in novel strategies to ameliorate age-related pathologies and to improve quality of life during normal aging.
The 2018 AAGP meeting will highlight the evolving science and practice of healthy aging by having presentations and discussion around the basic and applied science and practice of promoting and sustaining brain health during the aging process. Potential topics may include understanding how physical and mental exercise alters the aging process, cognitive training, mindfulness training as well as ways to integrate and train mental health professionals to be able to implement these research and clinical strategies in their practice.
In addition, the AAGP 2018 Program Committee also highlighted potential related topics:
- Issues related to diversity, culture, and ethnicity related to patient care, education and research
- The science of behavior change
- Sex and Sexuality in aging
- HIV and aging
- Critical care and its impact on cognitive and emotional aging
- Traumatic brain injury and its sequelae
- PTSD/Trauma and aging
- Complementary treatment approaches, psychosocial interventions, and the inclusion of spirituality in care delivery models
- Non-physician geriatric mental healthcare professional education and training
- Strategies to enhance successful aging, even in the face of medical comorbidities, including the "medical home" concept, senior friendly environmental design, and the "aging in place" movement
- Ethical issues such as advance directives and end-of-life care
- Novel interdisciplinary team models for the treatment of the elderly focusing on diversity and inclusion
- See the 2018 Call for Presentations for more ideas...